Saturday, November 22, 2008

Give Thanks!

Thanksgiving is on it's way! Only 5 days left. We have been busy preparing to have Thanksgiving at our home this year. YAY! We are really excited. The last several years we have gone to my parents house. It is nice there to not have the responsibility of doing anything but show up with a couple dishes to share, but we really wanted to host it in our new home.

I am so excited- my brother Andy, his fiancee Tiffany and baby Noah(3 months) are coming too. They, along with my parents are going to spend the night too. I can't wait! I am going to offer to let Noah sleep in my room so mommy and daddy can get some much needed sleep. I love that baby (scroll down, that is him sleeping a few posts ago- isn't he precious??)! Andy works swing shift and Tiff works days (getting up at like 3am!!) so they don't have to have a sitter too much. I don't know how they do it! Bless them for their dedication to Noah and each other!

Speaking of babies, my friend Leeanne is preparing for the birth of her second baby. She is having a c-section in mid December. They don't know what they are having, but I am rooting for a girl. I didn't get her a baby shower gift because I figured if it was a girl, they would need some girly clothes for her, so we will have to wait and see. It won't be much longer before we know! She also has a little guy who is just about to turn 1! He is my sweetie pie! He is beautiful- lovely skin like his mommy and beautiful crystal blue eyes. Quite a smile as well(with his bottom 2 teeth). I got to spend some time with little Elijah and Leeanne on Friday. Guess what? Elijah gave me a kiss! I am so lucky! I kiss on him all the time, so I guess he figured he would return some of the affection! I will always treasure that moment! What a sweety!

I am so thankful for the babies in my life (and their mommies!). I have given birth to as many babies as I can handle, so now I get to love on these little ones and give them back when they get cranky! What are you thankful for this season? In addition to the little babies, I am thankful for Jesus, my husband, my kids, my family, my friends, my home, D's job, my job. Please Lord, let me never take these things for granted!

So, what is your family having for Thanksgiving dinner? I got many of my recipes from my beloved Pioneer Woman. She has great recipes, step by step directions and fabulous photos of each step. In addition to the fact that every recipe I have tried of hers is delish!

My mom is bringing a ham and I am going to ask my brother to bring some soda. I am making the following (items with an * can be found at www.PioneerWomanCooks.com):

Apple Brine Turkey
*Creamy Mashed Potatoes
*Dinner Rolls
Green Bean Casserole
Black Olives (we have these with every holiday meal for some reason)
Cranberry Sauce (from a can)
Gravy

Desserts:
Homemade Pumpkin Pie (with homemade pumpkin puree)
*Homemade Pecan Pie (which I have never even had, but after seeing PW do it, I thought it looked good)
Autumn Leaves (these are pie crusts cut into triangles and stuffed with mini chocolate chips and peanut butter chips, then baked)
Homemade Marshmallows

I am excited to get cooking! Some of the recipes require advance preparation, and I actually can't wait for Monday to get here so I can get started! I really think my love language is cooking for others. I just love it when people like my food. Weird huh?

I wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving!

"Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name." 1 Chronicles 29:13

1 comment:

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

I can help you express your gift of cooking for other people! Come on over!! :)

I'm thankful for our new place to live, plenty of eggs, and this season of our lives of rest. I'm also so grateful for my husband and our kids.